"The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page." - St. Augustine

Done is Better than Perfect


I haven't written here in a while. I wish I could give some kind of excuse beyond general senior year busy-ness, and I guess that's kind of a reason, but it's not the whole truth. I've been thinking about this blog all the time, constantly meaning to write, but I just haven't done it. I say it's because I don't have time, but I know that's not it. No one has time to do everything, but people make time for what's important to them. 

I've been making time for the things I ultimately don't care about: Facebook and Tumblr and blogs that only make me want products I can't afford. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with these things, because they all have their own benefits. But the reality is that they're just filling me with emptiness and leaving me with no time to work on my own content.

"Your problem is that you're one of the perfects," my advisor said to me in a meeting last week. And she's right. I want everything to be perfectly neat and organized and tidy and straight up perfect before I do it. But that's not how the world works. There's no perfection guaranteed. I haven't been writing here because I want my blog to be 100% perfect. That's never gonna happen. Why do I need it to be perfect? Because I'm scared the other option is settling. But the true settling here is to do absolutely nothing. I should be proud of what I produce, but I don't need it to be perfect. What needs to happen is that I write, and I practice, and I evolve and I improve. 

After all, done is better than perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment