"The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page." - St. Augustine

PARIS // To Do: Palais Garnier

 photo IMG_4163_zps63f39f9d.jpg
Growing up, I was a huge Phantom of the Opera fan. Actually, that's putting it lightly. I was obsessed. I browsed Phantom-themed message boards, read Phantom fanfiction, watched the movie constantly, and even tried my hand at writing Phantom fanfiction. I woke up every morning to the song "All I Ask of You." My seventh grade birthday present was a family trip to see the play in Providence, Rhode Island. So you could say that when I realized I could visit the place where the story takes place, I was pretty excited.

The Paris Opera House did not disappoint. The Palais Garnier was built between 1861 and 1875 by Charles Garnier, a Parisian architect who won a design competition instituted by Emperor Napoleon III. It was built in the Beaux-Arts style. Statues feature prominently on the facade, as well as many gilded elements. Inside, there are a number of levels, all with different things to see. On one, the grand foyer is reminiscent of the Louvre or the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles. On another, there is an old library filled with books and scripts. Costumes from shows stand in glass cases in the lobbys. For the self-guided tour, visitors enter from the ground level, then go up behind the grand staircase to see it from the front. The auditorium can sit nearly 2,000 people. The famous "Phantom's Box" is marked with a plaque: "Loge du fantôme de l'Opéra." Access to the auditorium is included, but on the day I went it was unfortunately closed. So you'll have to go and tell me what it's like! 

The Palais Garnier isn't necessarily top of the list to see in Paris just because there are so many other things to cram in as well, but if you are there for more than just a few days and/or have an interest in ballet, architecture, or are as obsessed with Phantom of the Opera as I am, you should put it on your list. Or do one better and go see a show! 


 photo IMG_5287_zpsf8321d38.jpg photo IMG_5243_zps830602a7.jpg photo IMG_5244_zpsb5258aeb.jpg photo IMG_5238_zpsd9327011.jpg photo IMG_5231_zpsaf489990.jpg photo IMG_5257_zpsb4a47f66.jpg
 photo IMG_4170_zpsb06d1c69.jpg

Website:
www.operadeparis.fr

Address:
8 Rue Scribe, 75009 Paris, France

Metro: 
Opera (Line 3, Line 7, Line 8)
Chausée d’Antin La Fayette (Line 7, Line 9)

Hours: 
Monday to Friday 9 am to 6 pm
Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm
Closed Sundays

Tickets: 
10€ for adults
6€ for students/under-25s
Free for kids under 10

No comments:

Post a Comment